Monday, April 18, 2011

My Coachella Mini-Wrap-Up

Wow, a week since last post! The Coachella Music Festival took up much of my on-line time, so there's a partial excuse. I have to say, I was underwhelmed with this year's line-up. No huge acts that I had to see. Duran Duran recently did a web-cast. I guess the Big Audio Dynamite show was the headliner for me. I did enjoy Cold Cave (they would have been better at night, not in the friggin' sun). I thought Best Coast was good live, but I think all their songs sound the same. I know that is the worst sort of thing to say, but sometimes, such a dumb statement actually fits. I really, really don't get what all the fuss is over this band. Really bland stuff. I think they have potential, they just need to get more loose. MEN was little bit of a let-down. Cool to see live, but the music was lacking. The guitarist was really the best part of that performance. I need to look into his work.
The Drums played a great show on day one. I hope they earned new fans. The band that really did something different and just made me more interested was HEALTH. I thought of the early work of Cranes for some reason (feedback, big drums, droning sound?).
Things have certainly changed in Indio / Coachella. I lived there 1981-1991.

No comments: