Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sunday Driver: What's On my iPod

Sunday Driver: What's On my iPod - this is a combined post for Sunday, August 3 and today, Sunday, August 10.

Louis Eliot - I'm searching like mad for more from him. I treasure my Rialto cds and they never leave my DJ CD case. Monday Morning 5:19 is still a club hit and the acoustic version will break your non-cheating heart.

Thermostatic - Humanizer - After week of plays on the mp3 player, I am not bored. Good modern synthpop. Bonus points for female vocals.

The Little Ones - morning tide; just testing this one out.
According to the BBC, "Their sunshine-infused, optimism-fuelled material is made more poignant by this defiant refusal to be disheartened by a world so jaded.
Every cut apparently only made it to tape if it made the band want to dance." Read, more here.

Blank & Jones - The Logic Of Pleasure; the title annoys me. The logic of_________ (insert word that will make you think the whole album is a reflection of this word).
This one starts so well and sputters out. The first half is the album, the second is all filler. I love Stars and the mix of The Night Starts Here is very good. Bernard Sumner does vocals on track two and it's a treat. I need more trance in my life.

Close Lobsters - Headache Rhetoric; I am back in 1988 with this material and I think it stands up well. I could never get over the Smiths break-up!

M83 - Saturday = Youth; this ones taking some time, but it may be the best I have heard from these boys. I keep thinking I'm listening to the Radio Dept.

KLOQ - first listen today and I hear some Nitzer Ebb here! Excellent!

Ashbury Heights - the tracks Spiders will be on a popcast soon.

Neil Halstead - Oh Mighty Engine; twelve new songs from the voice of Slowdive and Mojave 3. Listening because I love his voice and lyrics. The music might not otherwise interest me, honestly. It's the application of his familiar voice to a genre I wouldn't otherwise give any listening time to...oh, and he was very friendly when he was here in San Diego. I am afraid to meet my heroes sometimes...when they are nice, I get more into their music. The cold, distant ones...get shelved often.

Midnight Resistance - I have one track off the Synthpop Club Anthems 5 cd. Todd, label-master over at A Different Drum, is really excited about the full album release,
so I am giving him a plug!

Scarlett Johansonn - I Don't Want To Grow Up - she's a doll and good actress, therefore, she can sing. Mmmmmm.

Cranes - The Forever album found its way onto the player. I guess it's cuz I made a vow before the authority of God, and my wife broke hers. I love her, and I will never lessen that love.

De/Vision - honestly, this German act never leaves my mp3 player. I live for synthpop and De/Vision never fails to fit any mood! "A Prayer" is this week's pick.

The Faint - Fasciinatiion - first listen today. So far so good. Found a remix too: http://www.thefaint.com/streaming/TheGeeks-DIOYY_Remix.mp3

Other musings from my life:

From the creator of Six Feet Under comes a new take on how the undead live. True Blood, Alan Ball's new original series for HBO, premiers September 7 at 9 PM.
Read Alan Ball's point of view. The Academy Award® winning writer and director speaks about fans of Six Feet Under, storytelling, the process of making True Blood, and avoiding the trappings of vampire clichés.

Black Kids, The Foxglove Hunt, Cut Copy - still on the mp3 player. No need to replace these excellent albums. Repeat:shuffle!

I have been playing American McGee's new game "Grimm" and, well, it's a bit of a disappointment! I LOVE the art, but the gameplay is stale.
But did I mention the art? I'll sit through the mindless gameplay for the art.

Here's a video for a song that keeps appearing in my private sets, house parties, etc. Timeless!

No comments: